Anyone can get accused of a crime even if they’re completely innocent. Millions of arrests occur in the United States every year. These arrests may be because of a minor misdemeanor, drug charges, assault charges, and more. There’s no knowing that you or someone you know may be among these arrests. Criminal defense lawyers can come to your help either to prove your innocence or negotiate a lighter sentence.
Why Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer
There are two instances when one might need a criminal defense lawyer. The first is when you’ve been accused of a serious crime, which you didn’t commit. A criminal defense lawyer will hear you out, attain proof, and then prove your innocence in court.
The second is when you have committed the crime but you stand a chance of facing serious punishments. A criminal defense lawyer can help in negotiating a lighter sentence with plea bargains and deals. They will provide you with expert advice on the best options you can take regardless of the situations you’re facing.
9 Questions to Ask When Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
But when you’re going to hire a criminal defense lawyer, you shouldn’t just hire the first one that comes along your way. Ask the following questions before you make a decision:
- Do they have a license to practice in your state?
- Have they had any experience defending other criminal cases?
- What kind of personal and professional background do they have?
- Does the attorney make you feel safe and secure about opening up to them?
- What does your instinct tell you about trusting the attorney?
- Are they fees reasonable and can you afford it?
- What are their previous clients saying about them?
- Does the attorney specialize in criminal law?
- Does the attorney seem passionate about your case?
Need more help in hiring a criminal defense lawyer? Make sure you read the infographic on Top 9 Things to Look For When Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer.